FKM (fluoroelastomer) was introduced in 1957 to meet the needs in the aerospace industry for a high-performance elastomer. Since then the use of FKM rubber has spread quickly to many more industries especially the fluid power and chemical industries. FKM material is one of the best elastomers around today that can perform in very hot and extremely corrosive environments.
- Excellent resistance to oil, petrol, acids as well as high temperature
- Excellent resistance against brittleness during long term heat exposure
- Very low permeability to gases
- Excellent resistance to ozone oxidation as well as flame resistance
- Not suitable for applications requiring resistance to ketones and lacquer solvents
The terms FPM, FKM and Viton often cause confusion. All of these designations actually stand for one single base material: fluoro rubber.