Expanded closed cell (skinned) silicone sponge offers many of the performance beneifts associated with solid silicone, but in a softer and more compliant form. Silicone Sponge Sheet and strips are available in various sizes, densities, colours and with self-adhesive backing on request.
Standard sections are available in an off-white 16lb density.
10lb, 24lb and 33lb are also available on request
Key Benefits of Closed Cell Silicone Sponge
- Wide operating temperature – silicone sponge has a temperature range of -60C to 260C
- Water sealing – the closed cell structure allows for good water sealing with relatively low compressive forces.
- Compression set resistance – silicone offers excellent compression set resistance (ability to rebound to original thickness), especially at higher temperatures, compared to most rubber material. Low compression set silicone sponges are available for even better performance than general purpose grades.
- UV and ozone resistance – silicone products have excellent UV and ozone resistance due in part to their organic backbone. This provides long term performance.
- Rugged – when silicone is required, silicone sponge parts are more durable than some other products openly available.
- Outdoor gasketing – considering all the above benefits, silicone sponge is a good material choice for outdoor environments, from the arctic to the desert.
- Most commercially available silicone sponge products are made from gum based polydimethylsiloxane (PMDS). The polymer is chemically expanded when heat cured to create the closed cell sponge structure. Closed cell means that the cells are non-interconnecting; therefore they do not allow water to wick through the sponge.
- Generally, silicone sponges have superior mechanical properties and offer many of the performance benefits of solid silicone in a softer and more compliant form.