Silicone sponge cord has universal application across a wide range of industries and markets. Sponge cord has fantastic compression set values They are particularly suited to use in high temperature seals and gaskets, where a soft, easily deformed rubber is required. The cord can be supplied in coils, cut lengths or fabricated into 'O' rings of various sizes using our extensive joining equipment.
Key Benefits of Closed Cell Silicone Sponge
- Wide operating temperature – silicone sponge has a temperature range of -60C to 260C
- Water sealing – the closed cell structure allows for good water sealing with relatively low compressive forces.
- Compression set resistance – silicone offers excellent compression set resistance (ability to rebound to original thickness), especially at higher temperatures, compared to most rubber material. Low compression set silicone sponges are available for even better performance than general purpose grades.
- UV and ozone resistance – silicone products have excellent UV and ozone resistance due in part to their organic backbone. This provides long term performance.
- Rugged – when silicone is required, silicone sponge parts are more durable than some other products openly available.
- Outdoor gasketing – considering all the above benefits, silicone sponge is a good material choice for outdoor environments, from the arctic to the desert.
- Most commercially available silicone sponge products are made from gum based polydimethylsiloxane (PMDS). The polymer is chemically expanded when heat cured to create the closed cell sponge structure. Closed cell means that the cells are non-interconnecting; therefore they do not allow water to wick through the sponge.
- Generally, silicone sponges have superior mechanical properties and offer many of the performance benefits of solid silicone in a softer and more compliant form.